Click here for Options' UK programme
To learn more about Options' work in this area, more information is available here, or contact Corinne Grainger
or David Griffith
With two years to go to meet the MDG targets – and with MDGs 4 & 5 lagging far behind, there is a clear need for new and innovative approaches to improving access to good quality maternal and newborn healthcare for poor women and their families.
Options' Results for Health
consultants work in the area of output-based or results-based approaches to widening access to reproductive health services. We believe that, by linking payments to outputs or results, these approaches can result in more inclusive health systems in which priority services are provided to currently underserved population groups, or quickly scaled up, thereby improving the country’s overall health indicators, such as fertility rates, maternal mortality, or STI/HIV prevalence.
Paying for results – or for ‘work done’ – is particularly effective for:
- Empowering clients
- Reaching specific population groups such as the rural or urban poor, adolescents, sex workers or migrant workers
- Addressing specific health conditions, such as the need for long-term family planning, TB, vesico vaginal fistula, or safe delivery, especially for marginal and very poor people
- Enabling governments to harness the capacity of non-state providers
- Providing incentives and opportunities for providers to meet the needs of clients
- Driving technical quality improvements
- Promoting efficiency, accountability and transparency.
We believe in supporting governments to work effectively with the non state sector (both private for profit and not for profit). Given the prominent role of the private sector in health care provision in developing countries, and the often poor quality of services delivered through the private sector, there is a strong need to support governments to partner effectively with, and to leverage the potential of private sector providers in meeting their national and international targets. The challenge lies in ensuring that health products and services from both the public and private sectors are under the regulatory framework of the government, can be guaranteed to be of high enough quality, are accessible and affordable to those who need them most.
Results for Health
consultants specialise in:
- Demand-side financing, including voucher programmes, cash transfer programmes, different forms of health insurance and pre-payment models
- Supporting the feasibility, design, monitoring and evaluation of results-based programmes
- Private (and increasingly public) Provider approval and accreditation systems development
- Public private partnerships.
Examples of our work include: