Click here for Options' UK programme
Technical Assistance Support Team, West Bengal, India
The Technical Assistance Support Team of support to the Government of West Bengal’s Department of Health and Family Welfare’s health reform and investment programme – the Health Systems Development Initiative, ran from 2006-2010.
The Health Systems Development Initiative, a government programme aimed to improve the health status and outcomes of the people of West Bengal, especially the poor and those in greatest need, through the strengthening of public health system and the improvement of public regulation of private provision. The programme aimed to:
- Reduce by about a third the infant mortality rate and maternal mortality rate
- Increase the proportion of institutional deliveries, especially in the six poorest performing districts
- Significantly increase the coverage of child immunisation
- Reduce the share of disease burden from communicable/maternal/neonatal factors.
The Technical Assistance Support Team (TAST), worked with the Department of Health and Family Welfare towards achieving the agreed milestones of the Health Systems Development Initiative, and the Department of Women and Child Development to improve access, quality and the reach of nutrition programmes in West Bengal. TAST procured consulting services for a spread of technical assistance in support of these milestones.
TAST worked on the following key elements of reform:
- strategic and policy framework
- organisation and management systems
- health financing
- access and demand for services
- involving the private sector
- assets and supply management
- procurement and financial management systems
- maternal and child health priorities
- development of the nutrition service.
TAST helped the Department of Women and Child Development to develop a ten-year nutrition strategy, a five-year rolling financial plan and worked to develop institutional mechanisms for implementation.
The TAST programme was funded by the Department for International Development.
To learn more about the Technical Assistance Support Team in West Bengal, please contact Alison Dembo Rath
or Melissa Cole